Molecular Biology Laboratory Technician – Shuyuan
The Shuyuan Molecular Biology Laboratory is a unique outreach initiative that brings university-level research to secondary school students.
As well as supporting primary and secondary school science classes and after-school activities, the laboratory runs courses for parents and staff and also enables individual student projects leading to conference presentations and research publications.
Much of the laboratory’s current research work involves the isolation and genomic sequencing of environmental microbes, as well as the characterisation of host-specific microbiomes. Benchtop techniques such as functional assays and the extraction of proteins and nucleic acids are combined with analysis using a wide range of bioinformatics tools.
- Assist teachers in the training and supervision of students in performing a wide variety of laboratory techniques;
- Assist teachers in planning, testing and conducting science experiments and other science-related activities;
- Prepare and manage science-related materials/resources, including those related to data-management systems and on-line analytical tools;
- Prepare, construct, operate and maintain laboratory apparatus and equipment, and help to establish experimental protocols;
- Assist in the purchasing and monitoring of laboratory consumables, equipment and other necessary items, including record-keeping and annual stocktaking;
- Organise servicing, trouble-shooting and maintenance of equipment and resources, as required; and
- Observe and support safe laboratory systems and practices.
- Bachelor degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biotechnology or related discipline;
- A knowledge of bioinformatics and/or programming will be an advantage;
- Be resourceful and able to work independently and also a good team player;
- Good command of both written and spoken English and Chinese (including Mandarin); and
- Proficient in PC skills (e.g. MS Office Suite).
Please send in your completed forms together with full curriculum vitae and covering letter,
BY EMAIL to: firstname.lastname@example.org
BY MAIL to: HR Office, The ISF Academy, 1 Kong Sin Wan Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong (mark the position’s REF code on the envelope)